The appeal is hard to ignore. CBD candy is delicious, and it brings expectations of health benefits such as relief from pain, anxiety, insomnia, inflammation, and a lot more.
But can you have your cake and eat it too? Or are CBD brands just selling overpriced snacks and empty promises?
To bring you the answers, we tried enough CBD candy to make our belts pop. Below, you’ll find out what it can and can’t do. We’ll also give you our top CBD candy picks.
Table of Contents
- What is CBD Candy?
- Does CBD Candy Really Work?
- The Best CBD Candy
- The Verdict: Does CBD Candy Really Work?
What is CBD Candy?
CBD candy is the name for any sweet treat infused with CBD. Examples include CBD hard candy, CBD chocolate, and even CBD gum.
CBD is added to candy in a few different ways. Sometimes, hemp extract is added during production (it’s baked or cooked into the candy). Other times, it’s added afterward by coating the candy in CBD oil. We recommend buying candy with CBD added during production, as these CBD candies have more uniformity in dosage and flavor.
Almost every CBD company produces a type of CBD candy, so there are hundreds of flavors and varieties to choose from.
Does CBD Candy Really Work?
Yes. Studies have shown that taking CBD orally may provide relief from a number of ailments, such as chronic pain, anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and more.
CBD candy is a type of CBD edible. This means that the candy is simply a delivery method to release the CBD into your body. When you eat it, the CBD is absorbed into your bloodstream via the intestinal tract during digestion.
Because CBD is a supplement, you can think of CBD candy in the same way you would a vitamin gummy.
However, the effects are not the same as the effects of other CBD products, such as CBD oil. The digestion process takes time, which means it takes longer to feel the effects of CBD candy.
For that reason, it’s important to know what CBD candy can and can’t do.
What CBD Candy Can Do
- It may ease discomfort: Taking CBD orally has been found to reduce discomfort caused by migraine, arthritis, and inflammation.
- It may help you sleep: Research suggests that taking CBD daily can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Many CBD candies contain added melatonin as a sleep aid.
- It may calm your anxiety: Taking CBD may help manage social anxiety and evoke relaxation by modulating GABA receptors and regulating hormone levels.
- It may reduce inflammation: CBD has been shown to inhibit inflammation before it starts, so it may help to reduce inflammation-related illnesses such as acne, arthritis, depression, and more.
- It may relieve gastrointestinal issues: CBD from edibles is absorbed by the gut, so it may be especially beneficial to this area. It may help to manage IBS, Crohn’s disease, colitis, and more.
What CBD Candy Can’t Do
- It can’t get you high: CBD candy made with hemp extract doesn’t contain enough THC to elicit a psychotropic effect (aka get you high).
- It can’t deliver fast relief: CBD in candy needs to be broken down by the body and digested before it can take effect. This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. We don’t recommend choosing CBD candy for immediate relief.
The Best CBD Candy
We ate our fill of CBD candy from dozens of top brands. Then, we tested their ingredients ourselves to find out exactly what was inside. In the end, we found two products that surpassed the rest in terms of flavor and effect.
Green Roads CBD Chocolate Bar
Green Roads CBD Chocolate
To check price, click “Learn More.”
Cacao Bean, Sugar, Cacao Butter, and Hemp-derived Cannabinoid Extract
Green Roads is one of our favorite CBD companies. They’ve been around since long before the CBD boom and believe every ingredient matters.
That explains why their chocolate bar tastes so good. Unlike other brands, Green Roads didn’t just mix standard chocolate with a little hemp extract. They sourced small-batch gourmet chocolate and infused it with CBD isolate, a flavorless CBD powder, so all you taste is rich chocolatey goodness.
The 62% cacao bar contains 180 mg of CBD, a high dose compared to other CBD candy. Luckily, the bar is quite big and can be separated into 12 squares. This makes it easy to enjoy a square every day without breaking the bank (or your belt).
The flavor of Green Roads chocolate is far superior to all other CBD chocolates we tried. Because it contains CBD isolate, you won’t get the benefits of additional cannabinoids that you would in a product made with full-spectrum hemp extract, but that’s ok. The Green Roads Chocolate Bar is simply gourmet.
Five CBD Chocolates
Five CBD Chocolate
10 squares: 50mg/CBD & 2mg/THC per square (500mg CBD total; 20mg THC total)
To check price, click “Learn More.”
Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Whole Milk powder, Unsweetened Chocolate, Nonfat Dry Milk, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla Extract), Cocoa Butter, and Full-Spectrum Hemp Extract
Five CBD Chocolates are a different breed.
These chocolatey bites contain 50mg full-spectrum CBD, granting you the benefits of CBD plus a range of other cannabinoids and terpenes. They also contain 2mg of THC per piece. That means when you eat one, you’ll feel a bit more relaxed and euphoric. While 2mg is a very low dose of THC, it’s a lot more than other CBD candy has.
A tiny THC boost might not be doable for some (especially if you’re subject to drug testing), but we loved the relaxing blend. The high dose of CBD with added THC provides a wonderfully chill feeling that melts away stress and encourages good sleep.
Each bag of CBD chocolates contains ten 50 mg squares that can be split into four pieces each. At just $30 a bag, Five’s CBD Chocolates are among the best values we found. If you live in a THC-friendly state, pick up a bag now.
Yes, CBD candy works. Getting CBD from sweets might seem too good to be true, but it’s just another way to take CBD orally. Taking CBD orally may have many benefits, such as reducing anxiety, discomfort, inflammation, and insomnia.
Many wish to take CBD edibles in a way that’s tastier and more fun than taking a CBD pill, which is why CBD candy is so popular.
You can find CBD candy from almost every CBD company. But for the best in taste, value, and effectiveness, we recommend Green Roads Chocolate Bar and Five CBD Chocolates.