CBD bath bombs are becoming an increasingly trendy find at boutiques and farmers’ markets. Marketed for their stress-relieving and skin-soothing properties, they’re turning bathrooms into CBD spas around the country.
But when did CBD go from a sublingual oil to a bubble bath product? Do CBD bath bombs even do anything?
We wanted to find out if CBD bath bombs offered any real benefits beyond normal bath bombs, so we took a look at the science and some of the most popular bath bombs to find out.
Read on to find out what CBD bath bombs really do and which products are worth your money; we’ll even tell you how to make CBD bath bombs yourself.
Do CBD Bath Bombs Really Work: Table of Contents
- What is a CBD Bath Bomb?
- Do CBD Bath Bombs Really Work?
- Best CBD Bath Bombs
- How to Make CBD Bath Bombs
- The Verdict: Do CBD Bath Bombs Really Work?
What is a CBD Bath Bomb?
A CBD bath bomb is a solid, typically spherical mix of soap, oil, fragrances, and CBD that dissolves when put in water.
To use a bath bomb, you place it into hot bathwater before getting in the tub. As the bomb dissolves, it releases its contents into the water. Some bath bombs will also change the color of the water for added effect.
Bath bombs are made with a variety of ingredients and have different effects depending on their composition. Some of the advertised benefits include skincare, stress-relief, and aromatherapy.
Before CBD was introduced into the mix, standard bath bombs were an easy way to turn a simple bath into a luxurious experience. Now that CBD is an added ingredient, marketers are making all sorts of claims about the health benefits of CBD bath bombs.
But are they true?
Do CBD Bath Bombs Really Work?
At the moment, there aren’t any scientific studies or resources on CBD bath bombs to consult. However, studies have shown that CBD has a number of benefits for your skin, so we can expect CBD bath bombs to have a positive impact in that regard.
Let’s take a look at what CBD bath bombs can and can’t do.
What They Can Do
Here’s what CBD bath bombs can do:
What They Can’t Do
Here’s what CBD bath bombs can’t do:
- CBD bath bombs can’t relieve fear and anxiety: While taking a bath is a great way to reduce stress, your CBD bath bomb won’t contribute to your stress relief any more than a normal bath bomb.
- They can’t reduce pain: To reduce pain, CBD needs to be consumed, inhaled, or absorbed by the body. The CBD in bath bombs may be able to interact with the endocannabinoid receptors in the skin, but there’s no evidence that it can penetrate deeper to relieve pain.
- They can’t manage appetite or nausea: CBD needs to be consumed to affect the appetite or suppress nausea.
- They can’t help you sleep: Taking a hot bath can make you feel tired, but the CBD in bath bombs won’t affect your sleep.
Basically, CBD bath bombs can’t help you with any condition that requires you to consume CBD.
Best CBD Bath Bombs
CBD bath bombs may have extra benefits to your skin compared to normal bath bombs. But, you won’t experience these benefits if you don’t choose bath bombs made with the appropriate quantity of high-quality hemp extract.
These are the CBD bath bombs we trust.
Joy Organics Premium CBD Bath Bombs
Joy Organics Premium CBD Bath Bombs
25mg/bath bomb (100mg total)
Click “Learn More” to check price.
Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Organic Coconut Oil, Lavender Oil (Lavandula Angustifolia), Water/Aqua, Maltodextrin, Phytocannabinoid-Rich Hemp Extract, and Organic Cocoa Seed Butter
Joy Organics Premium CBD Bath Bombs are pure and simple. With 25 mg of CBD per bomb and a light lavender scent, these are the ideal bath bombs for bathers who want a good dose of CBD without all the gimmicks.
Joy’s bath bombs are not quite as potent as some other CBD bath bombs, making them easier to dose based on your needs and the size of your tub. And, they’re very affordable at just $5 per bomb.
Joy Organics produces trustworthy CBD products from high-quality hemp, which earned them a spot on the US Hemp Roundtable. You can check the CBD concentration of their CBD bath bombs right on the product page, where the 3rd-party lab results are easy to find.
How to Make CBD Bath Bombs
If you like to DIY your CBD, bath bombs are easy and fun to make. Making them at home can save you some cash, and you’ll be able to determine their exact potency. Here’s what you’ll need to make about six bath bombs:
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup Epsom salt
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp water
- CBD oil (amount depends on the concentration; add up to 200 mg per bomb)
- ½ tsp of essential oil (lavender, peppermint, and chamomile are ideal)
- Bath bomb molds
1. In a big bowl, mix the baking soda, Epsom salt, cornstarch, and citric acid.
2. In another bowl, mix the coconut oil, CBD oil, essential oil, and water.
3. Slowly pour the liquid into the bowl with dry ingredients, stirring as you go. If it starts to fizz, you’re going too fast.
4. When thoroughly mixed, you should have a thick paste. Scoop it out and carefully place it into your bath bomb molds.
5. Let your bath bombs set for about 40 minutes.
6. Remove them from the molds and let them sit for 8-12 hours before use.
Yes. CBD bath bombs work. They might not be able to do everything that brands and enthusiastic users claim, but they have some clear benefits over normal bath bombs.
CBD bath bombs may heal your skin, prevent breakouts, and soothe inflammation better than normal bath bombs.
Normal bath bombs cost around $4-$10, and CBD bath bombs cost $5-$12. In our opinion, the added benefits of using CBD bath bombs are worth the small difference in price.
For an even better value, you can try to make your own CBD bath bombs. Though, if you’ve never used one before, we recommend starting with Joy Organics Premium CBD Bath Bombs, our editor’s top pick.