Chemistry of the brain determines our mood, because of the slightest breakdown, depression may appear. This is an amazing and very complex process where any imbalance, any change in our neurotransmitters can make us experience the full range of emotions , from boundless joy to desperate sadness.
These biochemical changes, in turn, depend on many factors. For example, there is a depression of endogenous origin, in which a low level of serotonin causes a state of helplessness and a constant decline in mood.
On the other hand, exogenous depressions depend on other factors, not only related to what is happening inside us, but also how we cope with our daily life and its adversities, large and small.
It is also known that depression is associated with certain amino acids and certain neurotransmitters , such as serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine.
Therefore, brain chemistry determines our emotional state and although we know that in many cases there is no other choice but to resort to psychotropic medications for treatment, today we want to talk with you about some alternative treatment strategies.
There are natural ways of regulating many of these neurotransmitters. Further we will explain how.
1. Dopamine deficiency and depression
Low dopamine levels lead to a number of vivid symptoms, such as fatigue, apathy, mood swings, loss of interest in what surrounds us, and a tendency to depression.
Dopamine is one of the most important neurotransmitters for our brain : it connects neurons and nerve cells.
In addition, it is known that it has an important function when it comes to body movements, motor skills, energy (or motivation) to communicate with the environment around us.
Learn how to improve your mood with natural remedies?
How can I increase the level of dopamine naturally?
- There is an amino acid that is needed to increase dopamine production. It’s about L-phenylalanine.
- Our body can not synthesize L-phenylalanine naturally, and therefore we must get it from food.
- L-phenylalanine, once ingested, turns into tyrosine and, in turn, generates dopamine production.
We can get this amino acid with the following products:
- Nuts such as almonds and walnuts
- seeds (sesame, sunflower and pumpkin)
- green tea
- cranberry juice
- Noni juice
- green tea
In addition, practices such as meditation or moderate visual activity also allow you to balance brain chemistry.
2. Serotonin, a hormone of joy
Most of the antidepressants act as follows: block the slowdown in the production of serotonin by a number of inhibitors .
- Low levels of serotonin leads to stress,sadness and depression, negative thoughts and despair.
- Therefore, the goal of psychotropic drugs is to promote the adequate production of this neurotransmitter.
- However, it is important to know that we can naturally increase its production.
How to increase the level of serotonin
- Start eating better, eat more bananas, dark chocolate, avocado, chicken, watermelons, blueberries, milk (these are the same foods that increase dopamine levels).
- Get a hobby, try something new: painting, dancing, yoga …
- Listen to music: the positive emotions that it generates, favor a good balance of brain chemistry.
- Leave the house more often, meet new people.
3. To balance the chemistry of the brain, you should sleep well
Bad rest, frequent nocturnal awakenings or insomnia have serious consequences.
One of them is a decrease in the level of serotonin, which, as is known, leads to fatigue, greater sensitivity to stress and the risk of depression.
A good dream is your health, and another way to balance brain chemistry so that neurotransmitters regulate and maintain a positive, stable emotional state.
Discover The Anxiety: 4 Simple Ways to Handle It
How to sleep properly to take care of brain health
- Follow a certain regimen: get up, eat and go to bed at the same time.
- For two hours before bedtime, put away electronic devices, turn off the computer, phone, tablet …
- You can exercise in the evening, but not immediately before bed.
- Follow the same ritual when you go to bed: it can be a hot shower, a glass of milk with honey, a book.
- Make sure that the temperature in the room is optimal for sleep (18 degrees). The heat or strong odors affect your rest.
And in conclusion, we want to emphasize once again that it is possible to regulate brain chemistry not only with medicines, but also with healthy habits .